Short answers


Sometimes, the answer to a question is just a simple yes or no: ‘Are you ready?’ ‘Yes.
But we can be a bit more emphatic by using a short answer, repeating the verb at the beginning of the question:

Are you ready?’ ‘Yes, I am.’ 
                             
When we do this, we can even omit the word yes:

Are you ready?I am!’

These are called short answers because we omit a part of the sentence we don’t want to repeat. The complete – or long – answer would be Yes, I am ready.

This kind of answer is very common in English:

Can we win?’ ‘Yes, we can.
 
Do you like music?’ ‘Yes, I do.’

When the answer is negative, we only have to add not at the end:

Did you go to the concert?’ ‘No, I didn’t.

Have you been using my computer?’ ‘No, I haven’t.

Auxiliary verbs are also used like this in other situations, to avoid repeating the whole sentence:

It’s a bit cold in here.’ ‘Yes, it is (a bit cold in here).’

Don’t forget to switch off the lights.’I won’t (forget to switch off the lights).’  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused or confusing?

Go home, walk home