So do I

When we speak, we tend to omit things we’ve already mentioned because old information is considered unnecessary. In English we often use auxiliary verbs to avoid repetition:

The wine was great, but the food wasn’t (great).

She’s going to Scotland, and I am (going to Scotland) too.
A common structure to do this is so + auxiliary verb + subject:

She’s going to Scotland, and so am I.
‘So am I’ here means ‘I’m going to Scotland too.’ The auxiliary verb (am) is the verb in the sentence we don’t want to repeat – I’m going to Scotland.
A few more examples:

She’s hungry, and so am I.            (= I am hungry too.)

‘I can swim.’ ‘So can I!’                (= I can swim too!)

Everyone has finished, and so have I.        (= I have finished too.)
Remember that we use do in the simple present and did in the simple past as auxiliary verbs:
You speak English, and so do I.
They went on holiday, and so did I.
In more informal speech we can say Me too instead, but this structure is not common with other pronouns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused or confusing?

Go home, walk home