It's getting dark, it is dark

Get is a very common verb in English, and it is used in several structures that have different meanings.
When followed by an adjective, get often means ‘become’, or ‘start to be’. If you get angry you become angry, and if you get sick you start to be sick.
The same meaning is expressed when get is followed by a past participle like dressed or lost: when you put on clothes you get dressed; if you travel without a map, you might get lost – or become lost.
These adjectives and participles are also found after be. The difference is that get expresses a change, whereas be describes a state:
They got married in 2005, but they got divorced in 2010.
They were married for five years.

It’s getting dark.

It is dark.
This is also the difference between be used to and get used to:
I live in Scotland, so I am used to the rain.
When I moved to Britain, I got used to driving on the left. (I wasn’t used to it before; I became used to it in Britain.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused or confusing?

Go home, walk home